The History of Brandon Marsh
At the end of the nineteenth century the area was enclosed farmland, typical of most of Warkwickshire, with two small woodlands and small wetland areas in the flood plain of the River Avon. Today the landscape is totally different due to two industrial processes. Firstly underground coal was mined from Binley Colliery up to the 1950's, causing subsidence which led to the formation of "Brandon Floods", a large lake linked directly to the river, which first attracted wetland birds and birdwatchers to the site. The floods were partially drained through river engineering, with River and Teal Pools remaining today. Then from the 1950's to the 1980's massive volumes of sand and gravel were quarried creating further areas of open water and opportunities for wetland plants to colonise. Birdwatchers worked alongside the gravel company to enhance the area's wildlife value and they formed the Brandon Marsh Conservation Group in 1968. In 1973 the importance of the site was recognised through its designation as Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). Then in 1981 Warwickshire Wildlife Trust entered into a formal agreement with the gravel company, and has worked in partnership with the volunteer group and the company to create the marsh of today. Quarrying ceased in 1989 and today all that remains is a concrete mixing plant and a superb wetland nature reserve.To read more about the History of Brandon Marsh:
50 years of Brandon Marsh by A.Wincott & T.Jury
Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve its Beginnings by A.Richards
Warwickshire Wildlife Trust
The Trust has had its headquarters at Brandon Marsh since 1991. From here it organises its conservation and education work throughout Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull. The support of existing and new members is crucial to enable the Trust to achieve yet more. If you could help, please join today at the Nature Centre.